Dr Eric Lau is an infectious disease epidemiologist with a focus on surveillance and transmission dynamics of infectious diseases in human and animals, and assessment of infection control measures. His previous work has contributed to the understanding and control of emerging human and zoonotic diseases such as SARS, MERS, scarlet fever, avian influenza A(H7N9) and COVID-19. His latest projects focus on transmission dynamics of COVID-19 and other emerging and re-emerging diseases, and surveillance strategy of respiratory diseases in human and avian influenza in live poultry markets. He is also actively involved in teaching and is the coordinator of two Advanced Statistics courses in the Master of Public Health programme of the School.
Dr Lau has published over 100 peer-reviewed articles on statistics, epidemiology and disease surveillance. He has also contributed in reviewing manuscripts for various leading international journals, such as American Journal of Epidemiology, Journal of Medical Internet Research, Statistics in Medicine, Nature Medicine, New England Journal of Medicine and The Lancet Infectious Diseases. He serves as an Editorial Board Member at BMC Infectious Diseases and PLOS Neglected Tropical Diseases.
(*joint-first, corresponding or senior author)
- Ali ST, Wang L, Lau EHY*, Xu XK, Du Z, Wu Y, Leung GM, Cowling BJ. Serial interval of SARS-CoV-2 was shortened over time by nonpharmaceutical interventions. Science. 2020 Aug 28;369(6507):1106-1109. Epub 2020 Jul 21. [IF=41.8, rank 2/71 multidisciplinary science]
- He X, Lau EHY*, Wu P, Deng X, Wang J, Hao X, Lau YC, Wong JY, Guan Y, Tan X, Mo X, Chen Y, Liao B, Chen W, Hu F, Zhang Q, Zhong M, Wu Y, Zhao L, Zhang F, Cowling BJ, Li F, Leung GM. Temporal dynamics in viral shedding and transmissibility of COVID-19. Nat Med. 2020 May;26(5):672-675. [IF=36.1, rank 1/138 medicine, research and experimental]
- Yang B, Lau EHY*, Cowling BJ. Estimating the Severity Profile of Enterovirus A71 Infections in Children: A Bayesian Synthesis Framework. Am J Epidemiol. 2019 Feb 1;188(2):475-483. [IF=4.3, rank 18/181 public, environmental and occupational health]
- Lee CF, Cowling BJ, Lau EHY*. Epidemiology of Reemerging Scarlet Fever, Hong Kong, 2005–2015. Emerg Infect Dis. 2017 Oct;23(10):1707-1710. [IF=8.2, rank 3/84 infectious diseases]
- Yuan J, Lau EH*, Li K, Leung YH, Yang Z, Xie C, Liu Y, Liu Y, Ma X, Liu J, Li X, Chen K, Luo L, Di B, Cowling BJ, Tang X, Leung GM, Wang M, Peiris M. Effect of Live Poultry Market Closure on Avian Influenza A(H7N9) Virus Activity in Guangzhou, China, 2014. Emerging Infectious Diseases,2015 Oct;21(10):1784-93. [IF=6.8, rank 3/78 infectious diseases]
- Lau EH*, Zheng J, Tsang TK, Liao Q, Lewis B, Brownstein JS, Sanders S, Wong JY, Mekaru SR, Rivers C, Wu P, Jiang H, Li Y, Yu J, Zhang Q, Chang Z, Liu F, Peng Z, Leung GM, Feng L, Cowling BJ, Yu H. Accuracy of epidemiological inferences based on publicly available information: retrospective comparative analysis of line lists of human cases infected with influenza A(H7N9) in China. BMC Med. 2014;12(1):88. [IF=7.4, rank 9/154 medicine, general & internal]
- Yu HJ, Cowling BJ, Feng LZ, Lau EHY*, Liao QH, Tsang KL, Peng ZB, Wu P, Liu FF, Fang J, Zhang HL, Li M, Zeng LJ, Xu Z, Li ZJ, Luo HM, Li Q, Feng ZJ, Cao B, Yang WZ, Wu JTK, Wang Y and Leung GM, Human infection with avian influenza A H7N9 virus: An assessment of clinical severity, Lancet, 2013; 382(9887):138-45. [IF=45.2, rank 2/154 medicine, general & internal]
- Leung CYH, Lau EHY*, Zhang L, Guan Y, Cowling BJ and Peiris JSM, Avian Influenza And Ban On Overnight Poultry Storage In Live Poultry Markets, Hong Kong, Emerging Infectious Diseases, 2012; 18(8):1339-41. [IF=6.2, rank 5/70 infectious diseases]
- Lau EHY, Cowling BJ, Ho LM and Leung GM, Optimizing use of multistream influenza sentinel surveillance data, Emerging Infectious Diseases, 2008; 14(7):1154-1157. [IF=6.5, rank 3/57 infectious diseases]
- Lau EHY*, Leung, YHC, Zhang LJ, Cowling BJ, Mak SP, Guan Y, Leung GM, Peiris JSM. Effect of Interventions on Influenza A (H9N2) Isolation in Hong Kong’s Live Poultry Markets, 1999–2005. Emerging Infectious Diseases. 2007; 13(9):1340-7. [IF=6.5, rank 3/57 infectious diseases]