After a BSc from The University of Nantes (France) and Cardiff University (UK), Dr. Elliott Miot completed an MSc in virology at the University Paris Diderot and the Pasteur Institute of Paris. During that time, he studied the ability of an insect-specific Flavivirus (CFAV) to modulate Dengue and Zika viruses transmission by Aedes aegypti mosquitoes.
He obtained a Calmette & Yersin doctoral grant to pursue his PhD between the Pasteur Institutes of Paris and Laos, under the supervision of Dr. Louis Lambrechts and Dr. Paul Brey. His research focused on the potential of the mosquito Aedes malayensis as an arbovirus vector in South East Asia.
While he spent a considerable amount of time sampling mosquitoes in the forest of Nakai Nam Theun Protected Area in Laos and the urban parks of Singapore, he conducted his lab work between the Pasteur Institutes of Laos and Paris, Duke-NUS Medical School (Singapore), and the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (U.K.).
His past experience in virology and medical entomology led him to start a post-doctoral fellowship at the HKU – Pasteur Research Pole in July 2020. He joined the team of Dr. Tsan Yuk Tommy Lam to investigate mosquito-borne viruses and vectors in Hong Kong.
- Miot EF, Calvez E, Aubry F, Dabo S, Marcombe S, Oke C, Logan JG, Hertz JC, Brey PT, and Lambrechts L. Risk of arbovirus emergence via bridge vectors: case study of the sylvatic mosquito Aedes malayensis in the Nakai district, Laos. Sci Rep. 2020; 10(1):7750. DOI: 10.1038/s41598-020-64696-9.
- Motoki MT, Fonseca DM, Miot EF, Demari-Silva B, Thammavong P, Chonephetsarath S, Phommavanh N, Hertz JC, Kittayapong P, Brey PT, and Marcombe S. Population genetics of Aedes albopictus (Diptera: Culicidae) in its native range in Lao People’s Democratic Republic (PDR). Parasit Vectors. 2019;12(1):477. DOI: 10.1186/s13071-019-3740-0.
- Miot EF, Aubry F, Dabo S, Mendenhall IH, Marcombe S, Tan CH, Ng LC, Failloux AB, Pompon J, Brey PT, and Lambrechts L. A peridomestic Aedes malayensis population in Singapore can transmit yellow fever virus. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2019;13(10):e0007783. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pntd.0007783.
- Baidaliuk A, Miot EF, Lequime S, Moltini-Conclois I, Delaigue F, Dabo S, Dickson LB, Aubry F, Merkling SH, Cao-Lormeau VM, and Lambrechts L. Cell-fusing agent virus reduces arbovirus dissemination in Aedes aegypti mosquitoes in vivo. J Virol. 2019; pii: JVI.00705-19. DOI: 10.1128/JVI.00705-19.
- Motoki MT, Vongphayloth K, Rueda LM, Miot EF, Hiscox A, Phommavanh N, Lakeomany K, Hertz JC, and Brey PT. New records and updated checklist of mosquitoes (Diptera: Culicidae) from Lao People's Democratic Republic, with special emphasis on adult and larval surveillance in Khammuane Province. J Vector Ecol. 2019;44(1):76-88. DOI: 10.1111/jvec.12331.
- Motoki MT*, Miot EF*, Rueda LM, Vongphayloth K, Phommavanh N, Lakeomany K, Hertz JC, and Brey PT. First record of Aedes (Stegomyia) malayensis Colless (Diptera: Culicidae) in Lao PDR, based on molecular analysis and morphological diagnosis. US Army Med Dep J. 2018;(1-18):1-7. *Co-first author