The School of Public Health, Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine of The University of Hong Kong has been designated as a WHO Collaborating Centre for Infectious Disease Epidemiology and Control since 10 December 2014. The Centre is headed by Professor Benjamin John Cowling and Dr Seto Wing-hong of the School. The designation of HKU School of Public Health as a WHO CC is the first of such kind at the University.
The HKU School of Public Health has a long and distinguished history in high impact research and public health education. With a view to protecting the public's health in Hong Kong and across our region, the WHO CC looks forward to coordinating research on the control and prevention of infectious diseases and providing local and regional education and training in infectious disease epidemiology and control.
Terms of Reference
(1) In collaboration with WHO, further the work of Infection Prevention and Control
(2) Strengthen capacity for surveillance of Antimicrobial Resistance (AMR)
(3) Emergency Response to Outbreaks of Novel Pathogens
The Centre is governed by a Steering Committee which shall direct the activity of the Centre, monitor progress on projects and deliverables in the workplan, and prepare the yearly progress report for submission to the WHO. The Steering Committee is chaired by the Centre Heads, Professor Benjamin John Cowling and Dr Seto Wing-hong, with members comprising Professor Joseph Sriyal Malik Peiris, Professor Joseph Wu, and any other members as nominated by the Heads.
The general membership of the Centre will comprise faculty members of Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong, and by invitation from the Centre Heads.
1. Real-time tentative assessment of the epidemiological characteristics of novel coronavirus infections in Wuhan, China, as at 22 January 2020
2. Nowcasting and forecasting the Wuhan 2019-nCoV outbreak
3. Nowcast on the likely extent of the Wuhan coronavirus outbreak, and forecasts domestic and international spread – UPDATE
WHO Collaborating Centre for Infectious Disease Epidemiology and Control
School of Public Health
The University of Hong Kong
G/F, Patrick Manson Building (North Wing),
7 Sassoon Road, Pokfulam,
Phone: (852) 3917-9280
Fax: (852) 2855-9528