Dr. Zhang received her bachelor’s degree from Zhejiang University majoring in Veterinary Medicine, and then she obtained her PhD degree from the Department of Microbiology, the University of Hong Kong in 2021. Her thesis studied the coronavirus-host interactions and the host dependency factors for MERS-CoV pathogenesis. She joined the HKU-Pasteur Research Pole, School of Public Health, as a Post-doctoral Fellow in 2021. Her current research focus concerns the impact of antibiotic administration and microbiota determinants in association with the development of metabolic illnesses.
- Chu H*, Chan CM*, Zhang X*(co-first author), Wang Y, Yuan S, Zhou J, Au-Yeung RK, Sze KH, Yang D, Shuai H, Hou Y, Li C, Zhao X, Poon VK, Leung SP, Yeung ML, Yan J, Lu G, Jin DY, Gao GF, Chan JF, Yuen KY. Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus and bat coronavirus HKU9 both can utilize GRP78 for attachment onto host cells. J Biol Chem. 2018 Jul 27;293(30):11709-11726.
- Zhang X* (co-first author), Chu H*, Wen L, Shuai H, Yang D, Wang Y, Hou Y, Zhu Z, Yuan S, Yin F, Chan JF, Yuen KY. Competing endogenous RNA network profiling reveals novel host dependency factors required for MERS-CoV propagation. Emerg Microbes Infect. 2020 Dec;9(1):733-746.
- Yang D*, Chu H*, Chai Y, Hou Y, Shuai H, Lee AC, Zhang X, Wang Y, Hu B, Huang X, Yuen TT, Cai JP, Zhou J, Yuan S, Zhang AJ, Chan JF, Yuen KY. Attenuated Interferon and Proinflammatory Response in SARS-CoV-2-Infected Human Dendritic Cells Is Associated With Viral Antagonism of STAT1 Phosphorylation. J Infect Dis. 2020 Aug 4;222(5):734-745.
- Chu H*, Shuai H*, Hou Y, Zhang X, Wen L, Huang X, Hu B, Yang D, Wang Y, Yoon C, Wong BH, Li C, Zhao X, Poon VK, Cai JP, Wong KK, Yeung ML, Zhou J, Au-Yeung RK, Yuan S, Jin DY, Kok KH, Perlman S, Chan JF, Yuen KY. Targeting highly pathogenic coronavirus-induced apoptosis reduces viral pathogenesis and disease severity. Sci Adv. 2021 Jun 16;7(25):eabf8577.
- Yang D*, Chu H*, Lu G, Shuai H, Wang Y, Hou Y, Zhang X, Huang X, Hu B, Chai Y, Yuen TT, Zhao X, Lee AC, Ye Z, Li C, Chik KK, Zhang AJ, Zhou J, Yuan S, Chan JF. STAT2-dependent restriction of Zika virus by human macrophages but not dendritic cells. Emerg Microbes Infect. 2021 Dec;10(1):1024-1037.