Chung, Pui Hong
Division of Community Medicine and Public Health Practice
- MBBS(HK), DOM(CUHK), PDipID(HK), MPH(CUHK), FHKCCM, FHKAM (Community Medicine)
Dr Chung was a King Edward VII scholar graduated from The University of Hong Kong. During his student years, he was an active member of the St John’s College; he also served firstly as Sports Captain, then later as Chairperson of the Medical Society. His training started from Paediatrics and later became a specialist in Community Medicine, with two gold medals awarded for the “Prize for Best Original Research by Trainees (BORT)” of the Hong Kong Academy of Medicine. He is an experienced trainer and examiner for the Hong Kong College of Community Medicine and the UK Faculty of Public Health. One of his main focuses is in the infectious disease area. He had hands-on experiences from the Hong Kong Department of Health and the World Health Organization in Geneva. He seated the first cohort of the Field Epidemiology Training Programme in Hong Kong and the planning team for drills related to outbreaks and the Public Health Information System. He served actively in the faculty’s front-line work at the two Community Isolation Facilities during the fifth wave of the COVID-19 pandemic. Before returning to HKU, he was in The Chinese University of Hong Kong and was elected as the Teacher of the Year Award (Public Health) in the year 2020 and 2021.
Dr Chung is now the Master of the Madam S H Ho Residence for Medical Students and Programme Director for the Bachelor of Arts and Sciences in Global Health and Development [BASc(GHD)].
- Chu YK, Chung PH, Pang FC. Analysis of the Effectiveness of Measures on the COVID-19 Vaccination Rate in Hong Kong. Vaccines. 2022; 10(5):747. https://doi.org/10.3390/vaccines10050747
- Feichau Pang, Puihong Chung, Gabriel M Leung. Innovating for Health in China’s Greater Bay Area[J]. China CDC Weekly, 2022, 4(1): 1-3. doi: 10.46234/ccdcw2021.274
- Lee SS, Cheng KF, Wong NS, Kwan CK, Lau OC, Cheng HF, Ngan W, Ma SP, Kam KM, Ho KM, Chung PH, Chan DPC. Emergence of antibiotic-resistant Mycoplasma genitalium as the cause of non-gonococcal urethritis in male patients at a sexually transmitted infection clinic. Int J Antimicrob Agents. 2022 Feb;59(2):106510. doi: 10.1016/j.ijantimicag.2021.106510. Epub 2021 Dec 28. PMID: 34971729.
- Chan EYY, Sham TST, Shahzada TS, Dubois C, Huang Z, Liu S, Hung KKC, Tse SLA, Kwok KO, Chung PH, Kayano R, Shaw R. Narrative Review on Health-EDRM Primary Prevention Measures for Vector-Borne Diseases. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2020 Aug 18;17(16):5981.
- Kwok KO, Chan E, Chung PH, Tang A, Wei WI, Zhu C, Riley S, Ip M. Prevalence and associated factors for carriage of Enterobacteriaceae producing ESBLs or carbapenemase and methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in Hong Kong community. J Infect. 2020 Aug;81(2):242-247.
- Chong KC, Leung CC, Yew WW, Zee BC, Tam GC, Wang MH, Jia KM, Chung PH, Lau SY, Han X, Yeoh EK. Mathematical modelling of the impact of treating latent tuberculosis infection in the elderly in a city with intermediate tuberculosis burden. Scientific Rep. 2019;9(1):4869
- Screening for latent and active tuberculosis infection in the elderly at admission to residential care homes: A cost-effectiveness analysis in an intermediate disease burden area. Jun Li, Eng kiong Yeoh, Pui Hong Chung. Plos One. Published: January 2, 2018
- Jun Li, Pui Hong Chung, Cyrus L. K. Leung, Nobuyuki Nishikiori, Emily Y.Y. Chan and Eng-Kiong Yeoh, The strategic framework of tuberculosis control and prevention in the elderly: a scoping review towards End TB targets. Infectious Diseases of Poverty 2017 Jun 1;6(1):70.
- Jun Li, Xin Shen, Eng-Kong Yeo, Pui Hong Chung. Tuberculosis control program and challenge in developed cities with intermediate disease burden: China experience. Journal of Thoracic Disease. 2017 May;9(5):E525-E528.
- Jun Li, Nobuyuki Nishikiori, Chi Chiu Leung, Engkiong Yeoh, Pui Hong Chung. Ageing canceling out the progress in Tuberculosis control in Hong Kong Special Administrative Region: age-adjusted analysis of case notification data, 1990-2015. Journal for Western Pacific Surveillance and Response, Issue 1, January – March 2017.
- LY Chan, PH Chung. When is the best time to launch Japanese encephalitis vaccination programs in Hong Kong - a simple decision model for policy makers. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Disease. 2017;7(5):315-315
- Li, J., Chung, P.H., Leung, C.L.K., Chan, E.Y.Y. & Yeoh, E.K. (2016). Research advances in tuberculosis epidemiological characteristics and risk factors of elderly in Hong Kong. Chinese Journal of Antituberculosis, 38(8), 678-682.
- Ma SK, So K, Chung PH, Tsang HF, Chuang SK. A multi-country outbreak of fungal keratitis associated with a brand of contact lens solution: the Hong Kong experience. Int J Infect Dis. 2009 Jul;13(4):443-8.
- Ma E, Chung PH, So T, Wong L, Choi KM, Cheung DT, Kam KM, Chuang SK, Tsang T; Collaborative Study Group on Streptococcus suis infection in Hong Kong. Streptococcus suis infection in Hong Kong: an emerging infectious disease? Epidemiol Infect. 2008 Dec;136(12):1691-7.
- Pui Hong Chung, Liz Mumford, Michael Perdue, Katarina Prosenc, Maria Zambon, Malik Peiris, Mark Perkins, John Wood, Alexander Klimov, Adam Meijer, Lance Jennings Global Influenza Programme: Expert consultation on diagnosis of H5N1 avian influenza infections in humans. Influenza and Other Respiratory Viruses, 1: 131–138.
- Chung PH, Chuang SK, Tsang T, Wai-man L, Yung R, Lo J. Cutaneous injury and Vibrio vulnificus infection. Emerg Infect Dis. 2006; 12(8):1302-3.
- Chung PH, Chuang SK, Tsang Thomas. (2006). Consumption of viscera as the most important risk factor in the largest outbreak of shellfish poisoning in Hong Kong, 2005. The Southeast Asian journal of tropical medicine and public health. 37. 120-5.
- Chung PH. (2005) Preparing for the Worst-Case Scenario. Science, 310 (5751): 1117-8.
- G Leung, PH Chung, T Tsang, W Lim, S Chan, P Chau, C Donnelly, A Ghani, C Fraser, S Riley, N Ferguson, R Anderson, YL Law, T Mok, T Ng, A Fu, PY Leung, M Peiris, TH Lam, AJ Hedley. (2004) SARS-CoV antibody prevalence in all Hong Kong patient contacts. Emerg Infect Dis., 10:1653–1656