Dr. M. Pear Hossain received a PhD in Biomedical Sciences with a concentration in Epidemiology and Biostatistics from the City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong in 2022. Before this, he obtained the B.S. and M.S degrees in Statistics from the Jahangirnagar University, Bangladesh in 2009 and 2011 respectively, and a M.S in Applied Statistics from King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals, Saudi Arabia in 2016.
He is a recipient of the Hong Kong government’s most prestigious scholarship for PhD studies - “Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme (HKPFS).” At the City University of Hong Kong, he received “Chow Yei Ching School of graduate studies entrance scholarship,” “Outstanding Academic Performance Award for Research Degree Students,” and “Research Tuition Scholarship” for his excellence in the academy and research.His current research focuses on modeling infectious disease dynamics and assessing the impacts of interventions and potential factors on disease transmissibility and severity. He published several articles in this field. Apart from this, he contributed substantially to core statistical research.
*Co-first author, #Corresponding author
Epidemiology and biostatistics publications
- Hossain, M. P.; Zhou, W; Ren, C.; Marshall, J. and Yuan, H. Y. (2022), Prediction of dengue annual incidence using seasonal climate variability in Bangladesh between 2000 and 2018, PLOS global public health, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pgph.0000047
- Yuan, H; Hossain, M. P*; Wen, T. and Wang, M. (2022), Assessment of the fatality rate and transmissibility taking account of undetected cases during an unprecedented COVID-19 surge in Taiwan, BMC Infectious Diseases, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12879-022-07190-z.
- Alam, M.N.; Moni, M.A.; Yu, J.Q.; Beale, P.; Turner, P.; Proschogo, N.; Rahman, M.A.; Hossain, M.P.; Huq, F. (2021) Promising Anticancer Activity of [Bis(1,8-quinolato) palladium (II)] Alone and in Combination. International Journal of Molecular Sciences,22, 8471. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms22168471
- Hossain, M. P.; Junus, A.; Zhu, X; Jia, P; Wen, T.H.; Pfeiffer, D. and Yuan, H.Y. (2020), The effects of border control and quarantine measures on the spread of COVID-19, Epidemics, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epidem.2020.100397
- Hossain, M. P#. and Riaz, M. (2021), On Designing a New VEWMA Control Chart for Efficient Process Monitoring, Computers & Industrial Engineering, 162, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cie.2021.107751.
- Omar, M.H.; Arafat, S.Y.; Hossain, M.P.; Riaz, M. (2021) Inverse Maxwell Distribution and Statistical Process Control: An Efficient Approach for Monitoring Positively Skewed Process. Symmetry, 13, 189. https://doi.org/10.3390/sym13020189
- Monjed S, Omar, M. H. and Hossain, M. P. (2021), Mixed Double-Ranked Set Sampling: A More Efficient and Practical Approach, REVSTAT Statistical Journal, 19, 1, p.145-160.
- Hossain, M. P#.; Omar, M. H.; Riaz, M. and Arafat, S.Y. (2020), On designing a new control chart for Rayleigh distributed processes with an application to monitor glass fiber strength, Communications in Statistics - Simulation and Computation, https://doi.org/10.1080/03610918.2019.1710192
- Monjed Samuh, Omar, M. H. and Hossain, M. P. (2020), Practicality of Some Variations of Ranked Set Sampling, Austrian Journal of Statistics, https://doi.org/10.17713/ajs.v49i1.908
- Arafat, S.Y.; Hossain, M. P#.; Ajadi, J. O. and Riaz, M. (2019), On the Development of IMEWMA Control Chart for Inverse Maxwell Distribution, Journal of Testing and Evaluation, https://doi.org/10.1520/JTE20190082
- Hossain, M. P#.; Sanusi, R. A. and Riaz, M. (2018), On Designing Maxwell CUSUM Control Chart: An Efficient way to Monitor Failure Rates in Boring Processes, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-018-2679-1
- Hossain, M. P#.; Omar, M. H. and Riaz, M. (2017), Estimation of mixture Maxwell parameters and its possible industrial application, Computers & Industrial Engineering,
- Hossain, M. P#.; Omar, M. H. and Riaz, M. (2017), New V Control chart for the Maxwell Distribution, Journal of Statistical Computing and Simulation, 87:3, 594-606, https://doi.org/10.1080/00949655.2016.1222391
- Karim, M.R.; Hossain, M. P.; Begum, S. and Hossain, M.F. (2011), Rayleigh Mixture Distribution, Journal of Applied Mathematics, Hindawi Publishing Corporation, New York, https://doi.org/10.1155/2011/238290