Dr June Leung joined the School of Public Health as Clinical Assistant Professor in 2013. She obtained her medical degree from HKU in 2008, and was awarded the Teng Pin Hui Prize in Community Medicine. After her internship, she worked at the Department of Health as Medical and Health Officer from 2009 to 2013, and obtained her Master of Public Health at HKU with distinction in 2012. She completed her specialist training in public health medicine in 2016 and was awarded Fellowship of the Hong Kong College of Community Medicine, the Hong Kong Academy of Medicine, and the United Kingdom’s Faculty of Public Health. She also obtained a Doctor of Medicine degree at HKU in 2017, focusing on early life determinants of childhood wheezing disorders.
Dr Leung is currently the academic lead of the Master of Public Health Programme, which is the largest taught postgraduate degree programme in the Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine. Apart from providing mentorship and pastoral care to about 120 MPH students each year, Dr Leung coordinates and teaches a core MPH course Principles of Public Health. Dr Leung is closely involved in the teaching of undergraduate medical students as well, coordinating the Evidence Based Practice course for Year 1 and 2 students, and Clinical Epidemiology for Year 5 students. She is also a trainer in public health medicine and serves as a member of the Public Health Medicine Subspecialty Board of the Hong Kong College of Community Medicine.
Dr Leung’s research interests include the epidemiology of chronic respiratory diseases and other major non-communicable diseases, focusing on two cohort studies of younger people and older adults in Hong Kong, namely the “Children of 1997” birth cohort and the Department of Health’s Elderly Health Service cohort. She also has an interest in advocacy for policies to reduce alcohol-related harm, serving as secretary for the Hong Kong Alliance for Advocacy Against Alcohol.
- Leung JYY, Leung GM, Schooling CM. Migrant status and childhood hospitalizations for asthma and other wheezing disorders. Clin Exp Allergy 2017; 47(5):675-683.
- Leung JYY, Leung GM, Schooling CM. Socioeconomic disparities in preterm birth and birth weight in a non-Western developed setting: evidence from Hong Kong’s “Children of 1997” birth cohort. J Epidemiol Community Health 2016; 70(11):1074-81.
- Leung JYY, Lam HS, Leung GM, Schooling CM. Gestational age, birthweight for gestational age, and childhood hospitalizations for asthma and other wheezing disorders. Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol 2016; 30(2):149-59.
- Leung JYY, Kwok MK, Leung GM, Schooling CM. Breastfeeding and childhood hospitalizations for asthma and other wheezing disorders. Ann Epidemiol 2016; 26(1):21-27.
- Leung JYY, Li AM, Leung GM, Schooling CM. Mode of delivery and childhood hospitalizations for asthma and other wheezing disorders. Clin Exp Allergy 2015; 45(6):1109-17.
- Zhao J, Leung JY, Lin SL, Schooling CM. Cigarette smoking and testosterone in men and women: a systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studies. Prev Med 2016; 85:1-10.
- Schooling CM, Chan WM, Leung SL, Lam TH, Lee SY, Shen C, Leung JY, Leung GM. Cohort profile: Hong Kong Department of Health Elderly Health Service Cohort. Int J Epidemiol 2016; 45(1):64-72.