Dr Chao Quan was appointed Clinical Assistant Professor at the School of Public Health in 2017. He received his bachelor’s degrees and medical training from the University of Oxford and his research doctorate from the University of Hong Kong. He is the MPH lead for Health Economics, Policy and Management concentration and teaches the Health Economics course. Dr Quan is currently deputy head of the SPH consulting unit.
Dr Quan applies health economics, health policy evaluation and health care services research to improve population health. His team use data-driven approaches to study the economic costs of modifiable risk factors including alcohol and tobacco, as well as health services research on non-communicable diseases such as diabetes and cancer. In addition to evaluating the impact of public health policies and simulation modelling of policy interventions, Dr Quan is also conducting a randomized clinical trial of incentives framed around behavioural economics to improve health outcomes. Current projects include programme evaluation and service planning for breast cancer screening, the equity of colorectal cancer screening, outcomes of the Hong Kong genome project, the spill-over impact of COVID-19 disruptions on healthcare for non-communicable diseases, and the cost-effectiveness of a vaccine allergy safety programme.
Dr Quan has been awarded research funding as principal investigator from the Research Grants Council (ECS/GRF), Department of Health Tobacco and Alcohol Office, and Food and Health Bureau’s Health and Medical Research Fund (Commissioned, Investigator-initiated and Research Fellowship schemes).
Please contact Dr. Quan with CV for student research, research assistant and post-doctoral opportunities: email@example.com.
- Ng CS, Au M, Ma R, Leung JYY, Quan J. The impact of alcohol pricing policies on public health in Hong Kong, China: a modelling study. The Lancet Regional Health – Western Pacific. 2022. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lanwpc.2022.100510
[IF 8.6 (2021), Rank 3/109 Health Sciences & Services; Rank 10/182 Public, Environmental and Occupational Health]
- Ng CS, Au M, Leung JYY, Leung GM, Tian L, Quan J. The impact of road safety policies in a deregulated alcohol tax environment in Hong Kong: a 15-year time series analysis. Addiction. 2022. https://doi.org/10.1111/add.15866
[IF 7.3 (2021), Rank 3/37 Substance Abuse]
- Chiang V, Saha C, Yim SHJ, Au, EYL, Kan KCA, Hui KSH, Li TS, Lo WLW, Hong YD, Ye J, Ng CS, Ko WKW, Ho TKC, Lau CS, Quan J^, Li PH^. Allergists and COVID-19 Vaccine Allergy Safety: A Pilot Study “Hub-and-Spoke” Model for Population-Wide Allergy Service. Annals of Allergy, Asthma, & Immunology. 2022. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anai.2022.05.011
[IF 6.2 (2021), Rank 9/27 Allergy; 52/161 Immunology]
^ co-senior author
- Quan J, Ng CS, Kwok HHY, Zhang A, Yuen YH, Choi CH, Siu SC, Tang SY, Wat NM, Woo J, Eggleston K, Leung GM. Development and validation of the CHIME simulation model to assess lifetime health outcomes of prediabetes and type 2 diabetes in Chinese populations: A modelling study. PLOS Medicine. 2021. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pmed.1003692
[IF 11.1 (2020), Rank 10/169 Medicine, General & Internal]
- Mok CH, Kwok HHY, Ng CS, Leung GM, Quan J. Health state utility values for type 2 diabetes and related complications in East and Southeast Asia: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Value in Health. 2021. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jval.2020.12.019
[IF 5.7 (2020), Rank 4/88 Health Policy & Services, 9/108 Health Sciences & Services, 24/377 Economics]
- Yang B, Wu P, Lau EH, Wong JY, Ho F, Gao H, Xiao J, Adam DC, Ng TW, Quan J, Tsang TK, Liao Q, Cowling BJ, Leung GM. Changing disparities in COVID-19 burden in the ethnically homogeneous population of Hong Kong through pandemic waves: an observational study. Clinical Infectious Diseases. 2021. https://doi.org/10.1093/cid/ciab002
[IF 9.1 (2020), Rank 3/92 Infectious Diseases; 12/137 Microbiology; 18/162 Immunology]
- Eggleston K, Chen BK, Chen IY, Feenstra T, Iizuka T, Lam JT#, Leung GM, Lu JR, Rodriguez-Sanchez B, Struijs J, Quan J*, Newhouse JP. Are Quality-Adjusted Medical Prices Declining for Chronic Disease? Evidence from Four Health Systems. European Journal of Health Economics. 2020;21(5), 689-702. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10198-020-01164-1
[IF 3.7 (2020), Rank 14/88 Health Policy & Services, 74/377 Economics]
^ corresponding author
- Quan J, Pang D, Li TK, Choi CH, Siu SC, Tang SY, Wat NM, Woo J, Lau ZY, Tan KB, Leung GM. Risk Prediction Scores for Mortality, Cerebrovascular, and Heart Disease Among Chinese People with Type 2 Diabetes. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism. 2019 Dec 1;104(12):5823–30. https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2019-00731
[IF 5.6 (2018), Rank 22/145, Endocrinology & Metabolism]
- Quan J, Zhang H, Pang D, Chen BK, Johnston JM, Jian W, Lau ZY, Iizuka T, Leung GM, Fang H, Tan KB, Eggleston K. Avoidable hospital admissions from diabetes complications in Japan, Singapore, Hong Kong, and communities outside Beijing. Health Affairs. 2017 Nov 1;36(11):1896-903. https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2017.0479
[IF 5.7 (2018), Rank 3/81 Health Policy & Services, 3/98 Health Care Sciences & Services]
- Quan J, Li TK, Pang H, Choi CH, Siu SC, Tang SY, Wat NM, Woo J, Johnston JM, Leung GM. Diabetes incidence and prevalence in Hong Kong, China during 2006–2014. Diabetic Medicine. 2017 Jul 1;34(7):902-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/dme.13284
[IF 3.1 (2017), Rank 66/142, Endocrinology & Metabolism]