Dr Chao Quan was appointed Clinical Assistant Professor at the School of Public Health in 2017. He received his bachelor’s degrees and medical training from the University of Oxford. Dr Quan is an Associate Member of the Hong Kong College of Community Medicine, and an honorary physician attached to the Department of Family Medicine & Primary Healthcare, Queen Mary Hospital. He teaches the introductory Health Economics module on the MPH curriculum.
Dr Quan’s research focuses on the economic analysis of health policy and health care services with the goal of improving population health. His research uses large-scale individual-level data to study the economic costs of non-communicable diseases in Hong Kong. In addition to modelling the effects of public health policy interventions, Dr Quan is also conducting a randomized clinical trial of incentives framed around behavioural economics to improve health outcomes. Dr Quan collaborates with research institutions across US, Europe and Asia to conduct comparative research across international health systems. Dr Quan has been awarded research funding as primary investigator from the RGC ECS, GRF, and HMRF Commissioned & Research Fellowship schemes.
Dr Quan welcomes undergraduate students in medicine and related disciplines with a keen interest in developing research skills in data analysis, policy modeling, and randomized clinical trials. The minimum period will be three months. For enquiries, please contact Dr. Quan with CV at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Quan J, Ng CS, Kwok HHY, Zhang A, Yuen YH, Choi CH, Siu SC, Tang SY, Wat NM, Woo J, Eggleston K, Leung GM. Development and validation of the CHIME simulation model to assess lifetime health outcomes of prediabetes and type 2 diabetes in Chinese populations: A modelling study. PLOS Medicine. 2021. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pmed.1003692
[IF 10.5 (2019), Rank 8/165 Medicine, General & Internal]
- Mok CH, Kwok HHY, Ng CS, Leung GM, Quan J. Health state utility values for type 2 diabetes and related complications in East and Southeast Asia: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Value in Health. 2021. https://doi.org/ 10.1016/j.jval.2020.12.019
[IF 4.7 (2019), Rank 19/373 Economics, 5/87 Health Policy & Services, 7/102 Health Sciences & Services]
* senior and corresponding author
- Yang B, Wu P, Lau EH, Wong JY, Ho F, Gao H, Xiao J, Adam DC, Ng TW, Quan J, Tsang TK, Liao Q, Cowling BJ, Leung GM. Changing disparities in COVID-19 burden in the ethnically homogeneous population of Hong Kong through pandemic waves: an observational study. Clinical Infectious Diseases. 2021. https://doi.org/10.1093/cid/ciab002
[IF 8.3 (2019), Rank 3/93 Infectious Diseases; 11/135 Microbiology]
- Eggleston K, Chen BK, Chen IY, Feenstra T, Iizuka T, Lam JT, Leung GM, Lu JR, Rodriguez-Sanchez B, Struijs J, Quan J*, Newhouse JP. Are Quality-Adjusted Medical Prices Declining for Chronic Disease? Evidence from Four Health Systems. Eur J Health Econ (2020). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10198-020-01164-1
[IF 2.4 (2019), Rank 82/371 Economics, 25/87 Health Policy & Services]
* corresponding author
- Quan J, Pang D, Li TK, Choi CH, Siu SC, Tang SY, Wat NM, Woo J, Lau ZY, Tan KB, Leung GM. Risk Prediction Scores for Mortality, Cerebrovascular, and Heart Disease Among Chinese People With Type 2 Diabetes. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism. 2019 Dec 1;104(12):5823–30. https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2019-00731
[IF 5.6 (2018), Rank 22/145, Endocrinology & Metabolism]
- Ng NYH, Jiang G, Cheung LP, Zhang Y, Tam CHT, Luk AOY, Quan J, et al. Progression of glucose intolerance and cardiometabolic risk factors over a decade in Chinese women with polycystic ovary syndrome: A case-control study. PLOS Medicine. 2019 Oct 25;16(10):e1002953. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pmed.1002953
[IF 11.0 (2018), Rank 8/160, Medicine – General & Internal]
- Quan J, Zhang H, Pang D, Chen BK, Johnston JM, Jian W, Lau ZY, Iizuka T, Leung GM, Fang H, Tan KB, Eggleston K. Avoidable hospital admissions from diabetes complications in Japan, Singapore, Hong Kong, and communities outside Beijing. Health Affairs. 2017 Nov 1;36(11):1896-903. https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2017.0479
[IF 5.7 (2018), Rank 3/81 Health Policy & Services, 3/98 Health Care Sciences & Services]
- Quan J, Li TK, Pang H, Choi CH, Siu SC, Tang SY, Wat NM, Woo J, Johnston JM, Leung GM. Diabetes incidence and prevalence in Hong Kong, China during 2006–2014. Diabetic Medicine. 2017 Jul 1;34(7):902-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/dme.13284
[IF 3.1 (2017), Rank 66/142, Endocrinology & Metabolism]