Dr. Bingyi Yang compeleted her Ph.D. in infectious disease epidemiology at The University of Hong Kong in 2017, and subsequently undertook postdoctoral training at the Department of Biology, University of Florida during 2017-2020.
Dr. Yang’s research interests lie in the transmission dynamics of infectious diseases and its driving factors. Her research primarily focus is understanding population susceptibilities through analysing serological data, including modeling the complexity of human immunity to angenic variable pathogens like influenza and SARS-CoV-2 viruses. Additionaly, she conducts research on COVID-19 pandemic responses, with a particularly emphasis on analysing the effects of non-pharmaceutical interventions.Dr. Yang is the principle investigator and co-investigator of studies funded by Health and Medical Research Fund. She is also a recipient of Health and Medical Research Fund Fellowship.
(†joint-first; *corresponding author)
- Yang B*, Garcia-Carreras B, Lessler J, Read JM, Zhu H, Metcalf EJ, Hay JA, Kwok KO, Shen R, Jiang CQ, Guan Y, Riley S*, Cummings DAT*. Intrinsic cycling in human life-course immune responses to influenza: An observational and modeling study. eLife. 2022. 11: e81457.
- Yang B*, Huang X, Gao H, Tsang TK, Cowling BJ*. Immunogenicity, efficacy, and safety of SARS-CoV-2 vaccine dose fractionation: a systematic review and meta-analysis. BMC Medicine. 2022. 20(1): 409.
- Yang B, Wong IOL, Xiao J, Tsang TK, Cowling BJ. Effectiveness of CoronaVac and BNT162b2 vaccine against SARS-CoV-2 Omicron BA.2 infections in Hong Kong. Journal of Infectious Diseases. 2022. Oct 17;226(8):1382-1384.
- Yang B, Lin Y, Cowling BJ. Accurate inputs for key epidemiological parameters in modelling study. The Lancet Public Health. 2022 Jun 1; 7(6): e494.
- Lin Y†, Yang B†, Cobey S, Lau EHY, Adam DC, Wong JY, Bond HS, Cheung J, Ho F, Gao H, Ali ST, Leung NHL, Tsang TK, Wu P, Leung GM, Cowling BJ. Incorporating temporal distribution of population-level viral load enables real-time estimation of COVID-19 transmissibility. Nature Communications. 2022 Mar 3;13(1):1-8. († = joint first authors)
- Yang B, Sullivan SG, Du Z, Tsang TK, Cowling BJ. Impact of international travel controls in delaying local outbreaks of COVID-19. Emerging Infectious Diseases. 2022 Jan;28(1):251-253.
- Yang B, Tsang TK, Gao H, Lau EHY, Lin Y, Ho F, Xiao J, Wong JT, Liao Q, Wu P, Cowling BJ, Leung GM. Universal community nucleic acid testing for COVID-19 in Hong Kong reveals insights into transmission dynamics: a cross-sectional and modelling study. Clinical Infectious Diseases. 2021 ciab925
- Yang B, Huang AT, Garcia-Carreras B, William Hart, Andrea Staid, Matt D.T. Hitchings, Elizabeth C. Lee, Kyra Grantz, Amy Wesolowksi, Joseph Chadi Lemaitre, Susan Rattigan, Carlos Moreno, Brooke Borgert, Celeste Dale, Nicole Quigley, Andrew Cummings, Alizée McLorg, Kaelene Lomonaco, Sarah Schlossberg, Drew Barron-Kraus, Harrison Shrock, UFCOVID Interventions Team, Lessler J, Carl D. Laird, Cummings DAT. Effect of specific non-pharmaceutical intervention policies on SARS-CoV-2 transmission in the counties of the United States. Nature Communications. 2021. Jun 11;12(1):1-10.
- Yang B, Tsang TK, Wong JY, He Y, Gao H, Ho F, Lau EHY, Wu P, Sullivan SG, Cowling BJ. The differential importation risks of COVID-19 from inbound travellers and the feasibility of targeted travel controls: A case study in Hong Kong. The Lancet Regional Health – Western Pacific. 2021 Aug 1;13:100184.
- Yang B, Wu P, Lau EHY, Wong JY, Ho F, Gao H, Xiao J, Adam DC, Ng TWY, Quan J, Tsang TK, Liao Q, Cowling BJ, Leung GM. Changing disparities in COVID-19 burden in the ethnically homogeneous population of Hong Kong through pandemic waves: an observational study. Clinical Infectious Diseases. 2021 ciab002.
- Huang AT†, Garcia-Carreras B†, Hitchings MDT†, Yang B†, Katzelnick L†, Rattigan SM, Borgert B, Moreno CA, Solomon BD, Rodriguez-Barraquer I, Lessler J, Salje H, Burke D, Wesolowski A, Cummings DAT. A systematic review of antibody responses to coronaviruses: antibody kinetics, correlates of protection, and association of antibody responses with severity of disease. Nature Communications. 2020 Sep 17;11(1):1-6. († = joint first authors)
- Yang B, Lessler J, Zhu H, Jiang CQ, Read JM, Hay JA, Kwok KO, Guan Y, Shen R, Riley S, Cummings DAT. Life course exposures continually shape antibody profiles and risk of seroconversion to influenza. PLoS Pathogens. 2020. 16(7): e1008635.
- Yang B, Borgert B, et al., Cummings DAT. Modelling distributions of Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus using climate, host density and interspecies competition. PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases. 2021. 15(3): e0009063.
- Yang B, Lau EH, Cowling BJ. Estimating the severity profile of enterovirus A71 infections in children: A Bayesian synthesis framework. American Journal of Epidemiology. 2018 Oct 24; 188(2):475-83.
- Yang B†, Liu F†, Liao Q†, Wu P, Chang Z, Huang J, Long L, Luo L, Li Y, Leung GM, Cowling BJ, Yu H. Epidemiology of hand, foot and mouth disease in China, 2008-15 prior to the introduction of a monovalent EV71 vaccine. Euro Surveillance. 2017 Dec 14; 22(50). († = joint first authors)