Dr Alex Chin received his Ph.D. degree from School of Public Health of the University of Hong Kong in 2013. He then joined the Centre of Influenza Research of the same institute for his post-doctoral training. His Ph.D. work focused on studying the role of polymerase activity of influenza viruses in viral replication, pathogenicity and host adaptability.
His research interests range from basic virology and diagnostics of emerging infectious diseases to the development of control measures for influenza. His current research focuses on identifying broadly neutralizing antibodies against a wide range of influenza viruses and epitope mapping of antibodies against the influenza antigens with the yeast surface display technique.
- Chin AW, Yen HL, Krauss S, Webby RJ, Poon LL. Recombinant influenza virus with a pandemic H2N2 polymerase complex has a higher adaptive potential than one with seasonal H2N2 polymerase complex. J Gen Virol. 2016;97(3):611-9.
- Valkenburg SA, Mallajosyula VV, Li OT, Chin AW, Carnell G, Temperton N, Varadarajan R, Poon LL. Stalking influenza by vaccination with pre-fusion headless HA mini-stem. Sci Rep. 2016;6:22666.
- Chin AW, Perera RA, Guan Y, Halfmann P, Kawaoka Y, Peiris M, Poon LL. Pseudoparticle neutralization assay for detecting ebola-neutralizing antibodies in biosafety level 2 settings. Clin Chem. 2015;61(6):885-6.
- Hemida MG, Al-Naeem A, Perera RA, Chin AW, Poon LL, Peiris M. Lack of Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus transmission from infected camels. Emerg Infect Dis. 2015;21(4):699-701.
- Chin AW, Li OT, Mok CK, Ng MK, Peiris M, Poon LL. Influenza A viruses with different amino acid residues at PB2-627 display distinct replication properties in vitro and in vivo: revealing the sequence plasticity of PB2-627 position. Virology. 2014;468-470:545-55.
- Chin AW, Mok CK, Zhu H, Guan Y, Peiris JS, Poon LL. Use of fractional factorial design to study the compatibility of viral ribonucleoprotein gene segments of human H7N9 virus and circulating human influenza subtypes. Influenza Other Respir Viruses. 2014;8(5):580-4.
- Chin AW, Greenbaum BD, Li OT, Webby RJ, Poon LL. Statistical strategy to identify recombinant vRNP of avian, human and swine influenza A viruses with elevated polymerase activity. Influenza Other Respir Viruses. 2013;7(6):969-78.
- Cheung TK, Chin AW, Chan KH, Schumaker M, Mak PW, Leung HS, Wong A, Peiris JS, Petrauskene OV, Poon LL. Evaluation of novel H1N1-specific primer-probe sets using commercial RT-PCR mixtures and a premixed reaction stored in a lyophilized format. J Virol Methods. 2010;165(2):302-4.
- Chu DK, Chin AW, Smith GJ, Chan KH, Guan Y, Peiris JS, Poon LL. Detection of novel astroviruses in urban brown rats and previously known astroviruses in humans. J Gen Virol. 2010;91(Pt 10):2457-62.