Dr Alex Chin received his Ph.D. degree from School of Public Health of the University of Hong Kong in 2013. He then joined the Centre of Influenza Research of the same institute for his post-doctoral training. His Ph.D. work focused on studying the role of polymerase activity of influenza viruses in viral replication, pathogenicity and host adaptability.
His research interests range from basic virology and diagnostics of emerging infectious diseases to the development of control measures for respiratory diseases. His current research focuses on understanding the basic virology of SARS-CoV-2, the causative agent of COVID-19, with in vitro platforms and animal model. Besides, he is also interested in identifying broadly neutralizing antibodies against a wide range of influenza viruses and epitope mapping of antibodies against the influenza antigens with the yeast surface display technique.
- Sia S.F.*, Yan L.M.*, Chin A.W.*, Fung K., Choy K.T., Wong A.Y., et. al. (*Co-first authorship) (2020) Pathogenesis and transmission of SARS-CoV-2 in golden hamsters. Nature. 583(7818):834-838.
- Chin A.W., Chu J.T.S., Perera M., Hui K.P.Y., Yen H.L., Chan M.C.W., Peiris J.S.M., Poon L.L. (2020) Stability of SARS-CoV-2 in different environmental conditions. Lancet Microbe. 1(1):e10.
- Behzadinasab S.*, Chin A.W.*, Hosseini M., Poon L.L.M., Ducker W.A. (*Co-first authorship) (2020) A surface coating that rapidly inactivates SARS-CoV-2. ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces. 12(31):34723-34727.
- Hachim A., Kavian N., Cohen C.A., Chin A.W., Chu D.K., Mok C.K. et. al. (2020) ORF8 and ORF3b antibodies are accurate serological markers of early and late SARS-CoV-2 infection. Nat. Immunol. 21(10):1293-1301.
- Daeschler S.C., Manson N., Joachim K., Chin A.W., Chan K., Chen P.Z., et. al. (2020) Effect of moist heat reprocessing of N95 respirators on SARS-CoV-2 inactivation and respirator function. CMAJ. 192(41):E1189-E1197.
- Perera R.A.P.M., Tso E., Tsang O.T.Y., Tsang D.N.C., Fung K., Leung Y.W.Y., Chin A.W. et. al. (2020) SARS-CoV-2 virus culture and subgenomic RNA for respiratory specimens from patients with mild coronavirus disease. Emerg. Infect. Dis. 26(11).
- Kavian N., Hachim A., Li A.P., Cohen C.A., Chin A.W., Poon L.L., et. al. (2020) Assessment of enhanced influenza vaccination finds that FluAd conveys an advantage in mice and older adults. Clin. Transl. Immunology. 9(2):e1107.
- Jahan A.S., Biquand E., Munoz-Moreno R., Le Quang A., Mok C.K., Wong H.H., Teo Q.W., Valkenburg S.A., Chin A.W., et. al. (2020) OTUB1 is a key regulator of RIG-I-dependent immune signaling and is targeted for proteasomal degradation by influenza A NS1. Cell Rep. 30(5):1570-1584.e6.
- Al-Ghadeer H., Chu D.K.W., Rihan E.A., Abd-Allah E.A., Gu H., Chin A.W., et al. (2018) Circulation of Influenza A (H5N8) Virus, Saudi Arabia. Emerg. Infect. Dis. 24(10):1961-1964.
- Chin A.W., Leong N.K., Nicholls J.M., Poon L.L. (2017) Characterization of influenza A viruses with polymorphism in PB2 residues 701 and 702. Sci. Rep. 7(1), 11361.
- Chin AW, Yen HL, Krauss S, Webby RJ, Poon LL. (2016) Recombinant influenza virus with a pandemic H2N2 polymerase complex has a higher adaptive potential than one with seasonal H2N2 polymerase complex. J Gen Virol. 97(3):611-9.
- Valkenburg SA, Mallajosyula VV, Li OT, Chin AW, Carnell G, Temperton N, Varadarajan R, Poon LL. (2016) Stalking influenza by vaccination with pre-fusion headless HA mini-stem. Sci Rep. 6:22666.
- Chin AW, Perera RA, Guan Y, Halfmann P, Kawaoka Y, Peiris M, Poon LL. (2015) Pseudoparticle neutralization assay for detecting ebola-neutralizing antibodies in biosafety level 2 settings. Clin Chem. 61(6):885-6.
- Hemida MG, Al-Naeem A, Perera RA, Chin AW, Poon LL, Peiris M. (2015) Lack of Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus transmission from infected camels. Emerg Infect Dis. 21(4):699-701.
- Chin AW, Li OT, Mok CK, Ng MK, Peiris M, Poon LL. (2014) Influenza A viruses with different amino acid residues at PB2-627 display distinct replication properties in vitro and in vivo: revealing the sequence plasticity of PB2-627 position. Virology. 468-470:545-55.
- Chin AW, Mok CK, Zhu H, Guan Y, Peiris JS, Poon LL. (2014) Use of fractional factorial design to study the compatibility of viral ribonucleoprotein gene segments of human H7N9 virus and circulating human influenza subtypes. Influenza Other Respir Viruses. 8(5):580-4.
- Chin AW, Greenbaum BD, Li OT, Webby RJ, Poon LL. (2013) Statistical strategy to identify recombinant vRNP of avian, human and swine influenza A viruses with elevated polymerase activity. Influenza Other Respir Viruses. 7(6):969-78.