Dr. Leung is currently a post-doctoral researcher in infectious disease epidemiology, with major interest in immunity to influenza and other respiratory virus infections. Her long-term research goal is to study the mechanisms of immunology in humansby combining the research fields of epidemiology and basic immunology. To this end, she has completed comprehensive trainings in the study of immunity, transmission and burden of human respiratory virus infections – she completed an MPhil focusing on the molecular mechanism of antibody-dependent enhancement of SARS-CoV infection to evaluate the safety of a SARS vaccine candidate; a PhD with a series of field studies on the aerosol transmission of influenza virus; and herpostdoctoral research has been focusing on study design and data analyses of large longitudinal cohorts and vaccine trialson influenza burden, population immunity, vaccine immunogenicity and correlates/ mediators of protection (CoP/ MoP), in Hong Kong, mainland China and the UK.Dr. Leung has also received scholarships supporting post-doctoral exchange at the University College London analyzing data from the Flu Watch Study.
Dr. Leung has received funding supports from major local and international grants, including as co-Investigator for projects supported by the HK Theme-based Research (TBR) Scheme, the Guangdong Natural Science Fund (廣東省自然科學基金), the US NIAID CEIRS network and a collaborative agreement with the US CDC. For her work on influenza transmission, Dr. Leung has received two Best Abstract Awards from international conferences, including the Best Poster in Public Health from the Options for the Control of Influenza X (2019), and the Best Abstract in Infection Control from the 17th Asia-Pacific Congress of Clinical Microbiology and Infection cum 8th International Infection Control Conference (2018). She has published in international peer-reviewed journals(h-index 7, # citations 121) including one in the top 10% most-cited articles of 2016 from PLoS One. Dr. Leung also has a strong interest in field epidemiology, in particular on designing and adopting electronic systems for data capture and quality control, specimen tracking, and workflow monitoring to facilitate the management of large-scale community studies.
- Leung NHL, Chu DKW, Shiu EYC, et al. Respiratory Virus Shedding in Exhaled Breath and Efficacy of Face Masks. Nat Med 2020. [2018 IF 30.641]
- Shiu EYC, Huang W, Ye D, et al. Frequent recovery of influenza A but not influenza B virus RNA in aerosols in pediatric patient rooms. Indoor Air 2020. (Last and Corresponding author) [2018 IF 4.710]
- Fong MW, Leung NHL, Xiao J, et al. Presence of influenza virus on touch-surfaces in kindergartens and primary schools. J Infect Dis 2020. (Editor’s Choice) [2018 IF 5.045]
- Lim WW, Leung NHL†, Sullivan SG, Tchetgen Tchetgen EJ, Cowling BJ. Distinguishing Causation from Correlation in the Use of Correlates of Protection to Evaluate and Develop Influenza Vaccines. Am J Epidemiol 2019. (†Corresponding author) [2018 IF 4.473]
- Shiu EYC, Leung NHL†, Cowling BJ. Controversy around airborne versus droplet transmission of respiratory viruses: implication for infection prevention. Curr Opin Infect Dis 2019; 32(4): 372-9. (†Corresponding author) [2018 IF 3.752]
- Valkenburg SA, Fang VJ, Leung NH, et al. Cross-reactive antibody-dependent cellular cytotoxicity antibodies are increased by recent infection in a household study of influenza transmission. Clin Transl Immunology 2019; 8(11): e1092. [2018 IF 7.271]
- Valkenburg SA, Leung NHL, Bull MB, et al. The Hurdles From Bench to Bedside in the Realization and Implementation of a Universal Influenza Vaccine. Front Immunol 2018; 9: 1479. [2018 IF 4.716]
- Zhang H, Xiong Q, Wu P, Chen Y, Leung NHL, Cowling BJ. Influenza-associated mortality in Yancheng, China, 2011-15. Influenza Other Respir Viruses 2018; 12(1): 98-103. [2018 IF 3.094]
- Ip DK, Lau LL, Leung NH, et al. Viral Shedding and Transmission Potential of Asymptomatic and Paucisymptomatic Influenza Virus Infections in the Community. Clin Infect Dis 2017; 64(6): 736-42. [2018 IF 9.055]
- Leung NH, Zhou J, Chu DK, et al. Quantification of Influenza Virus RNA in Aerosols in Patient Rooms. PLoS One 2016; 11(2): e0148669. (Top 10% most cited) [2018 IF 2.776]
- Leung NH, Xu C, Ip DK, Cowling BJ. Review Article: The Fraction of Influenza Virus Infections That Are Asymptomatic: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Epidemiology 2015; 26(6): 862-72. [2018 IF 4.719]
- Yip MS†, Leung NH†, Cheung CY, et al. Antibody-dependent infection of human macrophages by severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus. Virol J 2014; 11(1): 82. (†Joint first author)[2018 IF 2.464]