Dr. Tong ZHANG is a Chair Professor of Environmental Engineering in Environmental Microbiome Engineering and Biotechnology Laboratory, Department of Civil Engineering, at The University of Hong Kong (HKU). He got his Bachelor and Master degrees in Environmental Science and Engineering from Nanjing University, and his PhD degree in Environmental Engineering from The University of Hong Kong. His researches include wastewater-based epidemiology (WBE), antibiotic and antibiotic resistance genes, environmental microbiome engineering and biotechnology, anaerobic digestion and bioenergy from wastes/wastewater, biological wastewater treatment, etc. He has published over 320 peer-reviewed papers on the above topics, and has more than 35, 000 citations and an H index of 104 (Google Scholar). He serves as a senior editor of Microbiome and an editorial board member of ISME now. He had been Honorary Professor in School of Public Health of HKU from 2018 to 2020. He got First-Class Award in Natural Science (China Ministry of Education) in 2015, Second-Class Award State Natural Science Award (China State Council) in 2016, Outstanding Research Student Supervisor Award of HKU in 2017, Outstanding Research Award of HKU in 2020, HKU Innovator Award in 2021, Golden Metals of The International Exhibition of Inventions of Geneva in 2021 and 2022, Medal of Honor 2021 by HKSAR Government, HKIE Grand Award in 2023. He has been listed as “Highly Cited Researcher” by Clarivate in 2018 (Cross Field), 2019 (Environment and Ecology), both 2020 and 2021 (Environment and Ecology; Microbiology), and 2022 (Microbiology).
- Yin X, Li L, Chen X, Liu YY, Lam TTY, Topp E, Zhang T*. 2023. Global environmental resistome: Distinction and connectivity across diverse habitats benchmarked by metagenomic analyses. Water Research. 235, 119875.
- Yang Y, Deng Y, Shi X, Liu L, Yin X, Zhao W, Li S, Yang C*, Zhang T*. 2023. QMRA of beach water by Nanopore sequencing-based viability-metagenomics absolute quantification. Water Research. 235, 119858.
- Zheng X, Wang M, Deng Y, Xu X, Lin D, Zhang Y, Li S, Ding J, Shi X, Yau CI, Poon LLM, Zhang, T*. 2023. A rapid, high-throughput, and sensitive PEG-precipitation method for SARS-CoV-2 wastewater surveillance. Water Research. 230, 119560.
- Yin X, Zheng X, Li L, Zhang A, Jiang X, Zhang T*. 2022. ARGs-OAP v3.0: Antibiotic-Resistance Gene database curation and analysis pipeline optimization. Engineering. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eng.2022.10.011.
- Zheng X, Li S, Deng Y, Xu X, Ding J, Lau FTK, In Yau C, Poon LLM, Tun HM, Zhang T*. 2022. Quantification of SARS-CoV-2 RNA in wastewater treatment plants mirrors the pandemic trend in Hong Kong. Science of the Total Environment. 844, 157121.
- Xu X, Deng Y, Ding J, Zheng X, Li S, Liu L, Chui H, Poon LL, Zhang T*. 2022. Real-time allelic assays of SARS-CoV-2 variants to enhance sewage surveillance. Water Research. 220, 118686.
- Xu X, Deng Y, Zheng X, Li S, Ding J, Yang Y, On HY, Yang R, Chui HK, Yau CI, Tun HM, Chin AW, Poon LL, Peiris M, Leung GM, Zhang T*. 2022. Evaluation of RT-qPCR Primer-Probe Sets to Inform Public Health Interventions Based on COVID-19 Sewage Tests. Environmental Science & Technology. 56(12), 8875-8884.
- Deng Y, Zheng X, Xu X, Chui HK, Lai WK, Li S, Tun HM, Poon LL, Ding J, Peiris M, Leung GM*, Zhang T*. 2022. Use of sewage surveillance for COVID-19: a large-scale evidence-based program in Hong Kong. Environmental Health Perspectives. 130(5), 057008.
- Zheng X, Deng Y, Xu X, Li S, Zhang Y, Ding J, On HY, Lai JC, Yau CI, Chin AW, Poon LL, Tun M, Zhang T*. 2022. Comparison of virus concentration methods and RNA extraction methods for SARS-CoV-2 wastewater surveillance. Science of The Total Environment. 824, 153687.
- Deng Y, Xu X, Zheng X, Ding J, Li S, Chui HK, Wong TK, Poon LL, Zhang T*. 2022. Use of sewage surveillance for COVID-19 to guide public health response: A case study in Hong Kong. Science of The Total Environment. 821, 153250.
- Zhang T*. 2022. Wastewater as an information source of COVID-19. Science Bulletin. 67(11), 1090-1092.
- Yang Y, Che Y, Liu L, Wang C, Yin X, Deng Y, Yang C, Zhang T*. 2021. Rapid absolute quantification of pathogens and ARGs by nanopore sequencing. Science of The Total Environment. 809, 152190.
- Zhang AN, Gaston JM, Dai CZL, Zhao SJ, Poyet M, Groussin M, Yin XL, Li LG, van Loosdrecht M, Topp E, Gilling M, Hanage WP, Tiedje JM, Katya M, Eric JA, Zhang T*. 2021. An omics-based framework for assessing the health risk of antimicrobial resistance genes. Nature Communications. 12, 4765. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41467-021-25096-3
- Xu XQ, Zheng XW, Li SX, Lam NS, Wang YL, Chu DKW, Poon LLM, Tun HM, Peiris M, Deng Y*, Leung G*, Zhang T*. 2021. The first case study of wastewater-based epidemiology of COVID-19 in Hong Kong. Science of The Total Environment. 148000
- Che Y, Yang Y, Xu XQ, Břinda K, Polz MF, Hanage WP, Zhang T*. 2021. Conjugative plasmids interact with insertion sequences to shape the horizontal transfer of antimicrobial resistance genes. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 118(6) e2008731118; https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.2008731118